6:00 am, the alarm rings. Friday mornings can be as dreadful as Monday mornings. The one marks the end of a week and the other one start of a week, and ironically you just don’t want the week to start. I try to put off the alarm, get up and get things rolling.

The power cuts off lately seem to have become a routine. As much I hate these morning power cuts, I feel the pain of people living in the various cities of India that either have no electricity or have the luxury of having it one or two days in a week.

While I was thinking not just about electricity but various other issues like education, hygiene, and food. I see a lot of food wasted in companies, hotels, and events. There are times when even I become the victim of being careless about food and a lot of such basic needs that are readily available for city dwellers but seem like a luxury to many who live in villages and remote areas.

I remember those days when I used to be part of the youth group helping children of the nearby villages with their studies and educating them about hygiene. Some days were good, and some were not, not because the children did not have an attitude for learning but because there was still lack of trust and maybe with their previous experiences they thought we were here to fulfill just another activity as a part of the social cause.

I question myself and the readers, what can we do differently as citizens of this country? The government will do its part, how about we fund many of the organization who have helped the needy?  They say when you share your happiness doubles; let’s share and grow happiness.

Linking this to Write Tribe Problogger October 2017 Blogging Challenge #writebravely #writetribeproblogger

I am taking part in The Write Tribe Problogger October 2017 Blogging Challenge

Categories: casual

14 Comments

zainab · October 6, 2017 at 12:52 pm

You are so right the end of the week can be as challenging as the starting. Power failure in small towns are worse! (We cant survive if there are no generators)

Bhavya · October 6, 2017 at 12:54 pm

Hi Shruti,

Of late the situation has improved remarkably, don’t you think? What with the emergence of many NGOs and a lot of youngsters showing interest in giving back to the community. I have always thought the motto Each One Teach One can help a great deal!

Over Coffee With Shruti · October 6, 2017 at 1:06 pm

Hi Bhavya,

Yes, they have improved quite a lot. I think we have a long way to go through. A lot of us have to come together and do something worthwhile for the society.

Aesha · October 6, 2017 at 5:53 pm

I think there is a change in attitude towards learning now. My maid’s grand daughter refuses when she is asked to accompany her at work . She says she has been sent to city by her parents for her to study & not help her with her work. She is a 14 year old and told me once that I help my nani in household chores but will not go to work with her at other people’s home. I feel this change will help our country grow. So I feel we should discourage child labour and provide them right to education

Keerthi Vydyula · October 6, 2017 at 7:58 pm

Indeed when we share…the happiness double…While i was employed in an MNC no matter what i used to send my contribution to an orphanage and scouts remote villages and provide them with facilities which they have not seen in life until then. Once i quit my job it has been a daily struggle for me so my funding to them had stopped but once i settle well in this new profession of mine i look forward to continue what i was doing earlier!

Sreedeep · October 7, 2017 at 5:11 am

Indeed, helping others is the best we can do.There is that sense of pure satisfaction when you offer books to the local orphanage or arrange funds for helping a friend’s family overcome a serious crisis. If we adopt the logic of ‘Pay It Forward’ the country can become much better!

Sheethal Susan Jacob · October 8, 2017 at 4:51 am

So many people are coming out, esp youth with new activities and programs to do their part. But more and more should follow.

Vinay Leo R. · October 8, 2017 at 12:34 pm

I think we do do a lot of things to help others, and do it the best way we can. But like the children may not have trusted the intentions, the attitude of quite a large part of society is that we’re doing it to achieve an end, not help them. I think that needs to change too. There is change that’s positive, but it has to be acknowledged too. And supported.

Ashwini Dodani · October 9, 2017 at 6:15 am

This is so well said, the doubt always remains but also there are invisible heroes always doing their thing 🙂

Mahak @babyandbeyondin · October 9, 2017 at 9:50 am

I try to do my tiny bit …as you said, I try to avoid wastage of food, electricity, water. But I am sure there is a lot more I can do. This post is a wake-up call of sorts for me.

Over Coffee With Shruti · October 9, 2017 at 10:02 am

Thanks for the comment :). I hope you find your inspiration and help people in anyway you can :).

thelazyparent · October 9, 2017 at 11:04 am

Its a good question to ask. I wish we all had a justifiable answer. I think, this generation needs to up their social involvement and make change happen.

inkingexpressions · October 9, 2017 at 6:15 pm

A very thoughtful post. So often we forget that all the things we take for granted are the things many people don’t even get to see in their lifetime!

Apeksha Rao · October 16, 2017 at 8:20 pm

If we even start conserving respurces like electricity, water and food, it will be a big step forward. A very thought-provoking post. 👍